Roles of the pracitioners during a usability test
- Test monitor
- Data logger
- Video operator
Most tests do not require individuals to play all of these
roles. For example, the video operator may not be needed if the
session is not videotaped. Also, one individual may play multiple
roles. For example the technician could also be a timer.
The test monitor has the most important role. Here are some of
the challenges that the test monitor faces:
- Make the participant feel comfortable with the test
- Minimize distractions towards the user
- Refrain from guiding user through usability obstacles
- Attend to cues that indicate problems
- Remember actions and problems
In addition to this list, Rubin provides an extended discussion
of problems encountered by test monitors.
- What are strategies for addressing the challenges encountered by a test monitor?
- What are common mistakes made by a test moderator?